Monday, May 30, 2011

Week Six Yo!

Another week is behind us at BYTT. It entailed not only the usual 11 classes but also enough posture clinics to cover five postures and two lectures on Fascia (please don't ask me to elaborate on the latter, after nearly 6 hours of lecture on the topic I am still a bit unclear as to what exactly it is). This week I came out of my Week 5 Funk only to find that I am still utterly terrified of getting in front of 40 or so people to deliver posture dialogue. Again, my homework was to get out of my comfort zone, release from my "shell" and to get out of my own head. Specifically, I was assigned the task of delivering Locust pose as a gangster rapper. When practicing this posture in my room I barely could get the dialogue straight as myself never mind in character as a thug but I was a good sport and, when delivering, threw in some 'biothes' and 'yo's' and 'sheeeeeit' after the lines to enhance my delivery and fulfill my required homework assignment. I was probably beet red while doing so but it got a laugh out of my group. I was certainly out of my comfort zone but whether it achieved the goal of permanently bringing me out of my own head while delivering remains to be seen.
Although Bow Pose did not go as I would have preferred I ended the week with strong deliveries of Fixed Firm and Half Tortoise. I attribute this partially to the fact that these postures are slower and I didn't feel pressured to spit out all the lines as quickly and energetically as the previous four from the spine-strengthening series but also to the fact that I am actually starting to not give a s---t anymore about what I look like up there. I suppose this is, indeed, 'getting out of my own head' . . .
Week 7 promises to be drastically different than Week 6 as Bikram is back from his travels and will undoubtedly be keeping us up until the wee hours watching Bollywood films. This means that the pressure of delivering our memorized dialogue lines will be exacerbated by sleep deprivation and added fatigue from the harder and hotter classes that Bikram will surely teach this week. The temperature rise in the hot room and the time we spend horizontal under the covers will fall. So, although we have only three weeks left, some of the most challenging classes and moments await us in Weeks 7-9. All I can say is "Bring it, biotch!"

No comments:

Post a Comment